- This event has passed.
August 7 ~ Annual Historic Walk
August 7 @ 9:30 am - 12:00 pm$5 – $10
Our annual August Walk will be held on Saturday, August 7th.
- We will start and end at Cream City Realty, 3474 S. Pennsylvania Avenue.
- Registration will be at 9:00 am and the walk will begin at 9:30 am.
- The cost is $5.00 for members of the Bay View Historical Society (BVHS) and $10.00 for nonmembers – select your membership status in the shop.
- The Fernwood & Sauerkraut Hill Walk will be led by society members Ron Winkler (leads in depth tour) and Greg Wernisch (leads regular tour) – select your tour guide in the shop.
We will follow safety guidelines for outdoors as determined by our health department and lawmakers at the time of the walk.
Each participant will receive a copy of the walk brochure, one of nine walking tours designed to help Bay Viewites and visitors gain an appreciation of Bay View’s history, architecture and lifestyle.
The walk is approximately two miles, covering the area between Oklahoma Avenue and Morgan Avenue from Lake Michigan to the Lake Parkway. Highlights include:
- Bay View Park which was developed in 1926 when houses were threatened by bluff erosion. We will see houses that were moved from the park to nearby locations.
- Erwin Zillman Home, 3328 S. New York Avenue (1925), home to “Mr. Bay View” Erwin Zillman, Alderman and editor/ publisher of “The Bay View Observer.”
- St. Francis State Bank/ Knights of Pytheos/Cream City Realty, 3474 S. Pennsylvania Avenue (1923), original home of the St. Francis State Bank and BVHS landmark.
- Morgan Park, established 1927 on triangle formed by Pennsylvania, KinnicKinnic, and Holt Avenues to honor Elizabeth Morgan, beloved teacher at Trowbridge Street School.
- Russell Bennett Home, 3317 S. Kinnickinnic Avenue (1855-56), the oldest known home in Bay View, built in Gothic Revival style on a hill by farmer Russell Bennett.
- Fernwood Montessori School, 3239 S. Pennsylvania Avenue, founded in 1895 as a Town of Lake school. The present school dates from 1928.
- Messiah Lutheran Church, 2015 E. Fernwood Avenue (1961) was founded in 1917 and the original church still stands at 3208 S. Kinnickinnic Avenue.